Sunday, February 8, 2009

I am reading Peterson's book "Eat this book". One of the things he said really struck me..He says we have replaced the Trinity of God the Father , the SOn and the Spirit with our own Trinity. That of Holy wants, Holy Needs and Holy Feelings. We have taken our Soverign self to be the text of Spiritual formation of our life. This is pulling ourselves up by our bootstraps or American independence at its worst. We are taught from the cradle on to put ourselves and our choices first. We are entitled. So since we are spending so much energy upon our selves and our needs, wants and feelings we only allow God some space in our life. He becomes peripheral not central. In the Message, in Romans, it says not to become so well adjusted to your culture that you fit into it without even thinking. So here in Zambia I find that I have transfered my own Trinity of wants, needs and feelings into my work here. I struggle with their culture which places relationship over task completion. I struggle with overcoming years of doing without to get them to plan ahead. So what is my goal as I work to help open a hosptial. Is it a replica of an American hospital, shiny, organized and always on time. Or is it a good clean African hospital, not so organized yet offering their kind of care. Taking time for each person's needs and sharing all you have with whoever needs it. So today as I begin to meet with the staff at Namwianga clinic to offer suggestions Lord help me remember it is your work, and not mine and you are in charge. Help me to put You back in your rightful place as Soverign Lord of both my life and theirs, as I allow the real Trinity to transform me to be the living servant you desire.

No comments: